Ikxi

3D Artist student
I have an artstation account too: https://ikxi.artstation.com/.
Hey, this would probably be something for the devs of the websiteprovider.
Also this is really just nitpicking but my OCD hates it.

If I go to a post via the top right bell icon, it still shows that there is a new post in that channel on the left side, even though I'm currently look at that post.
If that number could update it would be great.

Probably just something to put at the end of developement and nothinghuge important.
Perhaps there might also be a problem with images - unless its my computer/browser settings? - But if I click on someones artwork etc - it downloads the image instead of zooming/opening? I tested off site on dev art and I can expand images to view without downloading them. Does the same happen for you-guys?
Xtrm_Proxar replied
  ·  6 replies
Yup. I hate it, I want it to be fixed, tbh I thought it was just a glitch for me, but now I now its not.
Thanks guys :) I guess i'm used to right click to download an image and clicking on to zoom an image - maybe i'm weird XD
Xtrm_Proxar replied
  ·  3 replies
Hi,
I think it would be best to sort the member list on the right for people who are online instead of rank or similar.
Or maybe making it longer would be nice.
That way you could see if someone was online to maybe strike up a conversation with.
Thanks for the suggestion. Right now it is not possible to change, since we are not building the community tool itself. However, I just contacted the devs to see what their plans are in this regard.
This is what the devs replied:ย  We are looking into ways to make the member area in the sidebar more relevant, we've got some inquiries about this particular feature. There is no timeline just yet, but something we are thinking about. Thanks for this additional feedback as we continue to work on improvements!ย 
Ikxi replied
  ·  2 replies
I used the Vertex Selection in Weight Paint mode and now it works somehow.
It is a bug in 2.83.
Hey, need some help.
In Weight Paint mode I can't make the camera focus on the selection. It just focuses on something else.
Hello everyone,
I have been using the community website actively for nearly 1 week now.
I already made a similar post when the page was first launched and I will be addressing some of the points again, but also new points.
I will be mostly comparing my feedback with Discord as another platform to share things and communicate with other people to find help.
I also know that some of the problems are just the limitations of the platform, but it is also because of these limitations, that I want advise, using a different platform.

One of the only good things that stood out, is how easy it is to attach a picture or video to a post or file. But this seems standard and won't raise my opinion by a lot. It is also very easy in Discord.

The major thing why I do not like using the website is, that everything feels very slow. From loading the page, to going to a topic, everything always needs several seconds to load, even though I have fast internet and a fast CPU.
In Discord I can easily go from channel to channel without any loading times, only if my internet is a bit worse at times.

But also when giving someone an answer or when asking a question, it can take several hours for someone to notice and respond. And then again several hours for you to notice the response.
I know that you get an email when someone answers your topic, but I am not a person, who checks their email very often.

In Discord, it might also take some hours for someone to notice or respond to your message, but you can also easily be pinged and it makes a sound on your end, if you are still at your PC and you can see that someone answered and immediatly respond.
It is also better when multiple people have a conversation, as you don't have to jump between several comments the whole time, but everything is contained in one chat window.

Another point in favor of Discord is the voice chat and its innate function of screen share. You can easily share your screen with another person, if a problem is just a bit too difficult and can't be easily solved with a few messages and screenshots.
I already used this feature several times and wws able to help a few people in solving problems.

One minor thing is, that there is a lot of wasted space at the left and right edge of the screen and if that wasn't there, some posts would be better readable, than just on 1/3 of the screen. It would just be a quality of life improvement. Maybe you can change that yourself and it's not how the website was intended to be. (As I heard you are using a service provider to host this website)

Another minor thing too, when I collapse a category and go to a channel, the category then is always open again. This is just infuriating to me. And it makes the function worthless essentially.

My last point on the matter is communication. As a community you maybe just don't want to talk about your latest project or you don't always seek help. But maybe you also want to talk about general 3D topics or similar topics.
I also already had just mundane conversations about hobbies etc.
This is just not possible on the website, because of how it is build.

I hope you can take this feedback into consideration.

Have a nice day!
Ikxi
Interesting! I think the new community site is great. I can easily see when and where new posts are, I get notifications by email and with the bell icon at the top and generally it doesn't distract me when I'm working. I've have Discord installed but I very rarely have it running, because of the seemingly constant pinging distractions!ย 

Each to their own ;)

Mike
Ikxi replied
  ·  1 reply
I'm agree at some points.

As the others, I'm less friendly with the discord because of the amount of notifications, in fact, I ended up muting it, and looking at it a few times a day.

I haven't any problem with the web performance, at least for me navigation is fast, the only that seems not working are notifications. Always when I click the bell it displays the notifications and then reloads the entire page so I really can't see them, I don't know if this happens to someone else.

About the response time, it really depends, you can be pinged or not (and I don't see it very often), and if you're not, you'll have to search throug a lot of text, I think is easier searching the topic here, plus you'll have just the information you need.

At the moment we are using mainly the General Discussion, so yes, there's clearly a lack of sections, but I think they might still testing and probably looking at the web attendance, I suppose they have to know it's worth investing on it.

I'm also agree that the main body (topic and comments) of the page could be a bit more wide, I'm sure they're still tweaking with the mobile-first style so it's probably a matter of time they make it fit more for a desk screen.

I don't know, this my opinion, hope is considered too ^^
Zacharias Reinhardt replied
  ·  3 replies
Actually, Discord is awesome.
I learned tons of stuff by asking questions on Discord. Also I made lots of amazing contacts. There is a server for every application. Substance, Blender, Marvelous Designer, etc. Got a question? Just ask in the server and you'll almost always get a response to your problem in a few minutes. Especially as a newbie this will speed up your workflow immensely. And everyone is very friendly, the community is awesome.
After two years on Discord I now have contacts in every field. I exactly know whom to ask if I have a modeling problem, texturing problem, rigging, whatever.
If you have a problem with too many notifications just mute channels or whole servers.
Hello everyone,
here are a few links that I collected from the discord server, for those that don't know or just aren't there. Have fun and go wild.
(Everything is CC0)

Photogammetry textures/models:
http://www.treesdesigner.com/materials-library/ (9 different kinds of leave textures)
https://sketchfab.com/nebulousflynn/collections/cc0 (A collection of photoscanned museum artifacts)

Shaders/Materials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpWI2rU8iF0 (A series to create an amazing looking toon shader by a game dev studio)

Textures:
https://www.behance.net/gallery/2307804/Free-Texture-Pack (500 textures, 2.5GB, 27 categories)
https://texturebox.com/ (651 textures at time of writing)
https://texturehaven.com/textures/ (a haven of textures, up to 8k 16bit color)
https://texture.ninja/ (shown by TrANnyCyBOrg )
https://www.textures.com/freeTextures (shown by Natalie V )

Models:
https://3dmodelhaven.com/ (it's a 3d model haven, all said)

HDRI:
https://hdrihaven.com/hdris/ (more haven than you can take, up to 16k images only use with beefie computer)

Have fun blendering!
Hello,
can this General Discussion channel also be used to ask for advice that isn't specific to a course?
Or would that be something for the Discord server or I think there was also a Facebook group?
This channel is exactly for that! Btw. at this point we don't know yet if we will continue the Discord server, since we would like to keep everything in one place.
Ikxi replied
  ·  5 replies
Yes, it would be better to keep all in one )
Hi everyone. I will have to apologize for any missspelled words I am legally blind and my vision is very low. I just joined your community a couple of weeks ago and I am really impressed with the work you all are producing.ย  I would love to share some of my work with you guys but I cant find how to upload an image. I see things a little different than other people and could really use some feed back on my progress. I started in the 90's, I was doing architecture and started doing architectural renderings with 3d Studios. My passion was to do character animation but I never had the time because of work. Pluss 3d was just kind of getting started in the late 90's and you prety much had to learn on your own. I used Max for about 10 years doing architectural renderings. Then had to give it up when after 16 years of architecture I switched carriers and became a designer for a manufacturing company. I did design engineering but it wasn't the same. I was using Inventor and I later went on to work for Altec using SolidWorks to design the big utility trucks. Wel now I am disabled and cant work so I want to get back to what I really love doing. I got fed up with AutoDesk and let my subscription run out. and I haven't really used Max for about 10 years. A friend of mine told me about Blender so i decided to give it a try. I remember the early years of blender and it just wasn't as good as Max. Now it just blows max away. I have been having so much fun with it. It's like i can't get enough. I started learning blender about 4 to 5 months ago with Zack's apple beginner course and it was the best experience to transition from Max to Blender. Thank you so much Zack. I would like very much to be a part of your community I could really use some feedback on my work. I have mainly done architectural stuff but I intend to start doing character stuff soon. I have a short that I want to start working on at the first of the year. I have been working on the script and just about have that done. I have my main character already. I created her in DAZ but all of the remaining characters I want to model in blender. I have my work cut out for me. Any way I would love to up load what I have done so far If someone wouldn't mind telling me how to do so. Thank you so much I hope I can be apart of your community. Sorry for all of this long windedness. I see now where you can attach files now. I am working on the NY city, City hall Subway and hope to have some images soon.
Hello people!

I'm Ikxi. Currently a college student learning to be a 3d/game artist.
Love animation and rigging!

Also very active on the CGBoost discord.

Hope we can enjoy our time here!
Hallo lkxi, I decided to enter the forum here because it was you who pointed out a weakness in my hardware setup. Still haven't taken the plunge for an RTX card yet but will keep on plugging along with the present setup for awhile. Was able to complete most ofย 
Zach's intro. course with the old GTX 680 and the plan is to complete the Launchpad course with the old card then again with the new card lol. Yeah ... I'm old ... got lots of time for this. :-)
Ikxi replied
  ·  1 reply